September 7, 2014

Murder Ballads

Murder Ballads were a popular genre in traditional country and folk music. It was brought to the US by European settlers, and became especially popular in the Southern states. While its popularity has waned over the past decades, several contemporary artists covered some of the best ones. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds actually recorded an entire album full of popular Murder Ballads

My favorite is Banks of the Ohio, a 19th century murder ballad by an uknown author. Many recordings have been made of this song, by such greats as Johnny Cash, Joan Baez, and The Carter Family.  I especially love the rendition below, performed by Doc Watson, and accompanied by the amazing Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs and Alison Krauss. 

Take a minute to read the lyrics before watching the video, it will make you shiver....


Banks of the Ohio 

I asked my love to take a walk
Just a little ways with me
And as we walked and we would talk
All about our weddingday

Darling say that you'll be mine
In our home we'll happy be
Down beside where the waters flow
On the banks of the Ohio

I took her by her pretty white hand
I let her down that bank of sand
I pushed her in where she would drown
Lord, I saw her as she floated down

Returning home about twelve or one
Thinking "Lord, what a deed I've done?"
I killed the girl I love, you see
Because she would not marry me

The very next day at half past four
The sherrif walked right to my door
And he says "Young man, don't you try to run
You must pay for this awful crime you've done"


  
You may also like: