November 30, 2011

A Beautiful Voice

Exactly 10 years ago I saw my first opera. It was the year 2001 and I was in my first year of college. My best friend and I bought tickets to Bizet's opera "Carmen". Way too expensive for our student budget, but I never did regret this purchase.

The opera was beautiful. There were real horses on stage, a huge ensemble, and the music was, as you may already know, amazing. Soon after, I bought my first opera cd. It was actually a collection of four cd's by Pavarotti, Montserrat Caballet, another male singer (whose name I forgot) and my all time favorite female opera singer: Victoria de Los Angeles.

Vicotria de Los Angeles is a Spanish soprano singer, who achieved world fame in the 1950's and 1960's. She sang in various famous opera's (Carmen among others) and continued singing untill 1983. My favorite song of this cd collection is "Una Voce Poco Fa". An absolutely beautiful song and part of Rossini's opera "The Barber of Seville".

This opera was first performed in 1816 and has been performed numerous times since.  In this particular aria the heroine sings about her admirers' voice, who just sang a love song underneath her balcony. She promises herself to soon make this admirer her own. 

Victoria de los Angeles - "Una Voce Poco Fa"