January 29, 2012

The Highest Paid Black Entertainer Of The 1920's

It is impossible to write about the essentials of music, without mentioning Bessie Smith. She died at the age of 43 in a car accident, but has left several wonderful songs for us to hear. Throughout the 1920's and 1930's she recorded a large number of "race records" (as they were called back then), and she became the highest paid black entertainer of her time.

Careless Love is my favorite Bessie Smith song. No one knows who wrote the song and at what exact time period, but many of the great artists have decided to add the song to their repertoire (Louis Armstrong, Odetta, and Ray Charles among others).

Whenever I listen to Bessie Smith I can't help but feel like I'm thrown right back to her era. As if I'm standing in a dark alley in some southern town in the US. A late summer evening, and her music playing from inside a house. I hope you'll enjoy this song as much as I do.

                                                         Bessie Smith - "Careless Love"


You may also like:
The Woman Who Discovered Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday 
The Era of "The Artist": a Soundtrack to the 1920's and 1930's 
One of the Most Covered Songs in History